Happy Tuesday dearest friends, family and lurkers trying to figure out if they'd like to follow me or not! =)
I wanted to first give you a brief update about the novel I have planned for Halloween release. Originally, I was planning on my traditional shorter novels so that it would be a quick, fun read. But now? NOW I have found myself 24 chapters in while I turned into a slightly altered direction that spooks me enough that I have been having creepy dreams every night, and I know I have several more chapters to go until I get to the ending that I have planned out. I must confess, I slightly changed the originally intended ending to something that I hope can sit with readers for a long, long while after they've completed the story. I am super excited to share it with you....y'all do not know.
NOW! On with some fun lore building for my series of The Fae Chronicles! <3 Enjoy!
There are laws in the Underworld that are written in books.
There are laws written upon stone.
And then there are the laws that require no writing at all.
These are known simply as the Old Laws.
No one knows exactly when they were created.
Some scholars believe they predate the first Fae king.
Others insist they were given to the Fae by the ancient powers that shaped the Underworld itself.
Whatever their origin, the Old Laws have survived every king, every war, and every change in the realms.
They are not suggestions.
They are not traditions.
They are promises.
The First Law: A Promise Has Weight
Among the Fae, words are not considered meaningless simply because they are spoken.
A promise carries power.
To willingly give one's word is to bind oneself to it.
Breaking such a promise can have consequences far beyond embarrassment or punishment.
For this reason, Fae are notoriously careful with their language.
A clever Fae may tell you exactly what you want to hear.
They may even tell you the truth.
But that does not necessarily mean they have told you everything.
Visitors to the Underworld are therefore encouraged to listen carefully.
Especially when someone says:
"I promise."
The Second Law: Names Are Sacred
A true name is not merely a name.
It is a piece of the person who carries it.
For this reason, Fae rarely surrender their true names to strangers.
Nicknames, titles, family names, and chosen names may be shared freely.
A true name is another matter entirely.
To know someone's true name is to possess knowledge that should never be taken lightly.
The Archives contain several accounts of unfortunate travelers who learned this lesson after ignoring the advice of their hosts.
Their names have been removed from this document.
The Archivist who recorded the incidents was apparently fond of dramatic pauses.
The Third Law: Hospitality Is Sacred
There is perhaps no Old Law more widely observed than the Law of Hospitality.
When a Fae offers shelter beneath their roof and a guest accepts, certain protections are extended to both parties.
The guest is expected to behave honorably.
The host is expected to provide protection.
Breaking this bond is considered one of the greatest offenses in Fae society.
It is also one of the quickest ways to become the subject of a very unpleasant story.
There are exceptions, naturally.
There are always exceptions.
The Fae have never been fond of rules that leave no room for loopholes.
The Fourth Law: Never Take What Is Freely Offered
This law is often misunderstood by humans.
After all, if someone offers you a gift, why would you refuse it?
Because in the Underworld, a gift may carry meaning beyond the object itself.
A flower.
A piece of jewelry.
A cup of wine.
A promise.
A favor.
An invitation.
The Fae understand that giving and receiving can create bonds that are difficult to break.
Wise travelers therefore ask one simple question before accepting anything:
"Why?"
And if the answer is:
"Because I want you to have it."
Perhaps ask again.
The Fifth Law: Magic Has a Price
This is the law most often ignored by those who have never wielded magic themselves.
Magic is not infinite.
It is not without consequences.
And it cannot solve every problem.
Every spell takes something.
Sometimes the price is insignificant.
Sometimes it is painful.
And sometimes the price is not understood until long after the magic has been used.
The greatest mages in Fae history have always understood this.
The foolish ones usually learn it once.
A Final Note From the Archives
The Old Laws are not intended to frighten visitors.
They exist because the Fae have learned, over thousands of years, that certain boundaries exist for a reason.
Unfortunately, visitors learn about those boundaries only after crossing them.
Should you ever find yourself within the Underworld, remember these simple words:
Mind your promises.
Guard your name.
Respect your host.
Question every gift.
And never...
ever...
assume that magic is free.
Until next time,
May the King's Tree light your path,
The Royal Archives
****
Did you enjoy this post? If you did and want to be notified when other posts like this one goes live here on Watch Us Sparkle, head over to the sidebar menu in the right upper corner. There you will be able to subscribe to my blog by either the RSS Feed Option or through the Follow Me Option. I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday and a great rest of your week. Until next time.
~ Joli
No comments:
Post a Comment